Friday, May 20, 2011

Teething & Questions

Yesterday was definitely a day that will live in infamy. Peter and Titus were both cutting teeth on the same day. Can you imagine what it's like with two very cranky babies? They were so cranky that after I put them down for a nap, I sat down and did absolutely nothing: no laundry, no dishes, no ironing, NOTHING. It's days like yesterday when I sometimes wonder what it would be like if there were only one of them. It's not usually like that, but I just wanted to pull my hair out. Then, I remembered that there would be only one voice saying Mama, only one set of arms for hugs, only one set of eyes staring at the door waiting for me to pick him up, only one precious little boy. I never want to give that up. It makes the six months of sickness & two months of bed rest well worth it.

Today was Wal-mart day. Let me just say that I'm already tired of questions, and my boys aren't even asking any yet. It took me an hour and a half to buy $35 worth of odds and ends. An hour and a half! Do you realize that was only four halfway filled bags?!?! There were no diaper breaks, and I didn't have to search for anything. It was having to answer all the questions. My brother, Stephen, hates going to Wal-mart with me anymore because of all the questions. Yes, I realize I have twins and that comes with the territory, but some of the questions are down right personal and unnecessary. I've been asked if they're twins, are they fraternal, are they boys or girls or boy/girl, did I have a c-section, do I have my hands full, and many more. I have had men ask their fair share personal questions too. I've been told about their sister's nephew's daughter's mother-in-law that had twins, and I've been told all about their twins that passed away (they told me those stories even before Peter and Titus were born, not a good idea to scare a woman pregnant with multiples). Today, someone told me that Titus looked like a girl, but Peter looked like a boy. Now, they're wearing similar outfits: one is blue and yellow stripes and the other is orange and white stripes. Really?! I had already told her that they were both boys, but she had to insert her opinion. I almost bit through my sarcastic tongue trying to stay quiet. Meanwhile, she's blocking the aisle, and the people stuck behind her are looking at me like I'm the bad guy. Well, that's my Wal-mart rant for the week. I did manage to buy some clothes for the boys: three pairs of pants for $2.50 and two shirts for $2. So, I guess it was a profitable trip:)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Stephanie, I am sooo sorry! While I don't have twins, I have two boys 18 mos apart, and I get all of those questions. My favorite: "Did you MEAN to have kids so close together?" How am I to answer that? If I say yes, people think I'm a stupid blond; if I say no, one of my boys will feel as though we didn't want him. Once, at the ER when T was 4 days old, the doctor (who by this time had even changed his diaper) kept calling him a "she." Jon finally corrected the doctor, who even after that could not remember that the baby was male!!

    I think people are generally interested in children, and probably even more so in twins and other less common groupings. Sometimes that interest doesn't always translate into the most polite expressions. And, sad to say, I know I've been just as guilty, even though I should know better.

    For the record, your boys are adorable, and no, neither of them look like a little girl!!

    ReplyDelete